Clearwater Marine Aquarium (CMA) has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our commitment to privacy for our visitors, members, donors, newsletter subscribers and retail customers. We promise to be transparent regarding the personal information we collect and what we do with it. We also promise to respect your privacy and to do our best to protect your personal information. This privacy statement may change at any time with any changes posted on this page. Should you have additional questions, comments or concerns please contact us.
CMA collects and maintains the following types of donor information when it is voluntarily provided to us:
- Contact information such as name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
- Giving information
- Information on events attended, publications received and special requests for program information
- Information provided by the donor in the form of comments and suggestions
This confidential information is kept on file for IRS purposes. It is also used to analyze overall giving patterns in order to make more accurate budget projections, as well as to understand donors’ interests in our mission and to update them on the organization’s plans and activities. This information is shared with staff, board members, volunteers and consultants only on a confidential and need-to-know basis.
Clearwater Marine Aquarium does not sell, rent, trade or share its donor list with any other organization.
A Donor Bill of Rights
PHILANTHROPY is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To ensure philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they support, we declare all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP)
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE)
- Giving Institute: Leading Consultants to Non-Profits
- Independent Sector
- National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC)
- National Committee on Planned Giving (NCPG)
- Council for Resource Development (CRD)
- United Way of America
- Download Donor Privacy
- E-mail Privacy
Donor e-mail addresses will only be used within CMA. Your e-mail address is stored on secure servers in a mail file accessible only to those staff members responsible for initiating e-mails to you. We do not give away, share, sell or rent e-mail addresses to anyone outside CMA.
Mail List Removal
If you wish to be removed from our e-mail or postal mailings, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request removal, or call 1-727-441-1790. E-mail addresses returned to CMA as “permanently undeliverable” will be removed automatically from our e-mail lists. Postal mailings returned as “addressee unknown” or undeliverable will be automatically removed from our mailing lists.
CMA Registration and Order Forms
- CMA, both on our website and in paper format, uses registration and order forms for customers to make donations or register for various services.
- These registration and order forms may require users to give us contact information (such as name, address and e-mail address) and payment information.
- Contact information from these forms is used to fulfill orders, send acknowledgments and requested information. The customer’s contact information is also used to contact the customer when necessary in order to fulfill a transaction.
- User payment information is used only for credit card authorization and billing in the process of completing user-initiated transactions.
- Contact information will also be added to CMA’s mailing and e-mail lists to inform you about upcoming events, current news and other information. If you wish to be removed from our e-mail or postal mailings, please see Mail List Removal section above. (Transaction-related contact information will be retained securely per legally required information retention policies in any case).
- Contact information will only be used within CMA, stored in secure files accessible only to those staff members responsible for initiating contact to you from the Aquarium. We do not give away, share, sell or rent your contact information to anyone outside CMA.
If you are under 13 (thirteen) years old, please talk to your parents before using the website or providing your name or other information to the website. You cannot submit information to the website without your parent’s permission.
CMAquarium.org (also known as SeeWinter.com) contains links to other external web sites that do not fall under the CMAquarium.org domain. CMAquarium.org is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such external web sites.
A “cookie” is a small line of code that is stored in your browser when you visit a cookie-enabled website. Cookies do not collect any personal data that may exist on your computer. Our website utilizes cookies that allow the website to function. These particular cookies do not gather or store any personal data. These cookies cannot be turned off because the website would not work properly. If you set your browser to reject cookies, it is possible that some parts of the website will not function.
From time to time CMA, or its designate, may desire to place a different type of cookie on your computer. This type of cookie allows us to track and keep records on user activity to track user analytics and to better target our advertising You must affirmatively opt in to accept these cookies before they will be placed on your computer. If you do not opt in, the cookies will not be placed on your computer. Even after you have opted in, you may opt out by managing your cookies.
Managing Cookies You can manage cookies by accessing our Cookie Declaration page https://www.cmaquarium.org/cookie-declaration/. This will allow you to opt in or out at any time.
All cookies used across the Seewinter.com are listed in our Cookie Declaration found here. https://www.cmaquarium.org/cookie-declaration/
Changes to this Cookies policy
We aim to meet high standards and our policies and procedures are, therefore, constantly under review. From time to time we may change how we use and place cookies. Accordingly we recommend that you check this page periodically in order to review our current policies and practices.
How to contact us regarding Cookies
Mail: Digital Department, 249 Windward Passage, Clearwater, FL 33767
CMA offers an email marketing program which includes the official newsletter, merchandise offers, special activities and more. You may sign up for this service by providing an email address and opting to receive our marketing emails. If you wish to be removed from our marketing emails, please email us at email@example.com and request removal, or call 1-727-441-1790. You can also unsubscribe at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link found in the footer of all emails sent by CMA.
CMA is extremely conscientious about protecting children’s privacy and we follow these guidelines:
We do not collect online contact information from or about children (under age 13) without prior parental consent or parental notification, which will include an opportunity for the parent to prevent use of the information and participation in the activity. Without prior parental consent, online information will only be used to respond directly to the child’s request and will not be used for any other purpose. Children’s contact information will not be added to any database or mailing list without prior parental consent.
Controller of Personal Information
Personal information includes any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person such as your name, address, IP address, email address, etc. All Personal Information collected by CMA is controlled by CMA, which is considered the “controller” of the personal information under the European General Data Protection Regulation. Our address is 249 Windward Passage Clearwater, FL 33767.
The Personal Information We Collect and Store and Our Legal Basis for Using Your Personal Information
We collect personal information from you from various places when you utilize our goods and services including when you use or website, attend our events and visit CMA. We only use this information when we have a legal basis to do so. For example:
- We collect and store name, address, email and phone number information when you register for events at CMA or events sponsored by CMA through our web site. We collect similar information when you enter into transactions for retail purchases. We collect and utilize this information so we can perform the contract(s) we have with you. We do not store any credit card processing information.
- We collect and store name, address, email, phone number, emergency contact information, references, education, past employment and other similar information when you apply to volunteer or to be an intern with CMA. We collect and utilize this information pursuant to our legitimate interest of selecting and maintaining the best volunteers and interns. We do not store any credit card processing information relating to these applications.
- We collect and store name, address, email and phone number information when you donate to CMA or become a CMA annual pass holder. We utilize this information pursuant to our legitimate interests in keeping our donors and annual pass holders aware of goods and services offered by CMA and in furthering our fundraising efforts. We do not store any credit card processing information.
- We collect and store name, address, email address and date of birth information when you affirmatively consent to receiving our newsletter and/or full email marketing program.
We keep your personal information for as long as it is needed for the reasons it is being processed. For example, if you purchase merchandise from our store, we keep the information relating to your purchase to facilitate the purchase and then to handle any issues or complaints that might arise from the purchase. We may also maintain your personal information to enhance your experience with us.
The Entities With Which We Share Personal Information
Your Rights and Complaints
You have the right to acquire a copy of your personal information that we have collected and to ask that it be corrected or deleted. If you have any requests or questions regarding our handling of your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Those in the European Union also have the right to raise concerns regarding privacy with the Data Protection Authority in the relevant EU country. We request, however, that you contact us first to resolve any concern regarding privacy before turning to such an authority.