- Patient Status
- Released on November 1, 2018
- Date Found
- September 26, 2018
- Offshore of St. Pete Beach; Pinellas County
- Reason for Rescue
- Found floating
- 8.79 kg (19.3 lbs)
- SCL (STRAIGHT CARAPACE LENGTH)
- 40.5 cm
- EXAM FINDINGS
- Active and good body condition. Missing part of left rear flipper
- INITIAL TREATMENT
- Fluids, vitamin injections, and antibiotics
Valkyrie is a juvenile Kemp’s ridley that was found floating offshore of St. Pete Beach on September 26, 2018. After x-rays were taken, Valkyrie appeared to have an upper respiratory infection, and began treatment.
- Naming Theme
CT scan done.
Started on diet.
Eating very well and improving.
All marine turtle footage taken in Florida was obtained with the approval of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) under conditions not harmful to marine turtles. Footage was acquired while conducting authorized conservation activities pursuant to FWC MTP-18-172.