- Patient Status
- Released on February 14, 2019
- Date Found
- October 13, 2018
- New Port Richey, Florida; Pasco County
- Reason for Rescue
- Line entanglement and fibropapilloma tumors
- 8.78 kg (19.3 lbs)
- SCL (Straight Carapace Length)
- 42.5 cm
- Exam Findings
- Quiet but alert and good body condition. Missing left front flipper. Able to remove line from mouth and flipper with no issue, but there is a laceration and swelling on left rear flipper
- Initial Treatment
- Received fluids and vitamins
Yahtzee is a juvenile green sea turtle that was found floating and rescued near New Port Richey on October 13. Yahtzee had a thick line wrapped tightly around the left rear flipper that also continued into his mouth. He also has the fibropapillmoa virus with several tumors around body including eyes.
- Naming Theme
X-rays done, no hook present.
CT scan done.
Started on diet, continuing to check blood glucose levels and giving fluids.
Appetite is good, improving and swimming well.
Improving, resting on the bottom of the pool!
Went for a recheck CT and now cleared to have surgery.
Underwent surgery to remove pap tumors.
Recovering well and surgical sites are healing. Currently on therapeutic eye drops to help the eyes heal.
Surgical sites are healing well. Appetite is great.
Released at Fred Howard Park!
All marine turtle footage taken in Florida was obtained with the approval of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) under conditions not harmful to marine turtles. Footage was acquired while conducting authorized conservation activities pursuant to FWC MTP-18-172.